Friday, February 15, 2013

The Rhythm of Love

#NowPlaying: A Thousand Years- Christina Perri

Dear Friend, 

  Today, I write to you with an empty wallet, hurting cheeks and a smile that never stops reappearing on my face. I guess you can say that Valentines went a little better than I expected it to. I know, I know. I was cynical about the whole Valentines Day tradition a few hours ago. Let me explain.

  Let me start of by saying that I was extremely pleased with the outcome of my Single Awareness Day project. I secretly planted those roses, chocolates and letters in everyone's desk early in the morning. It's hard being inconspicuous y'know. So when everyone came up to see the things on their desk, it made me smile. Sadly, everyone figured out it was me. But it was alright. I was really I got to make people smile today. That's what counts! I will tell you that I didn't receive anything though, but that's cool. Making people happy makes me happy. I like the feeling when people hug me when they thank me too. Hugs are amazing. They make me feel special every time.

(Playing 'secret valentine' with these roses! )
  Alright, remember how I was going on and on about how Valentines Day was stupid? Well, I kind of proved myself wrong today. This was the first time in four years that I had celebrated Valentines Day. Up to this moment, my cheeks still hurt from too much smiling.This is the first time this ever happened. Maybe because the person who caused it is very special to me...

  I started off this day not really knowing I'd actually end up giving him a Valentine's gift. Sure, I had a rose, a pack of chocolate and a card in hand. But I knew myself all too well, I didn't have the guts to do such a thing. Sigh. As I told you, the guy I like has as much emotion as a rock. So I expected him to dismiss the thought of Valentines because it was too 'mainstream'.Oh, hipsters! And I was pacing back and forth between avoiding him and...not avoiding him. As if he could tell the difference, right? So there I was, gloomy and torpe.

  But with a little push (okay, a lot of push) from my friends, I was able to give him that Valentine's gift. It find it heart-warming how everyone was cheering me on. Teachers, friends, they were all so supportive and were even willing to help me out. That was one of the highlights of the day. But I had to do this face-to-face. Also,  I was told (repetitively and amusingly) to 'follow my heart' and 'not to care what others think'. And I'm glad I did. I really am.

  With a little help from one of my friends, she found him so I was going to be able to give my gift. As I was walking down the stairs, heart beating fast and finding it hard to walk from the butterflies fluttering in my stomach, I was nervous as hell. To my surprise, he was already there waiting. Asdfghjkl. 'Wait! No! I'm not ready! Noooooo!' was pretty much the reaction going on inside my head. But he was there, and he was with a smile. That's all I need to know. That was all that mattered. It was there, standing flustered as I was when he was around. At first he was kind of surprised that I had gotten him quite a lot of stuff. Yes, I went all out for Valentines. Shyly, I said "Happy Valentines Day" to him and handed him the gift. He thanked me and told me that he really appreciates it. You can just imagine the huge smile on my face as I was staring at him.

  His smile, though. How could something so perfect be even more perfect than what it already is? It was the first time I, or anyone else, had seen him smile like that. And that, my dear friend, is what made it the best part. I was able to make him smile like that. That rare smile he barely shows. I'll treasure it forever. I know I might not be able to face him for quite some time again,  cause I'm about as shy as you can get. But I'm fine. I was once again on Cloud 9, and I might be up here for a while. I was also happy that I got to tell him that his smiles make my day. Because if it wasn't for that boy with a beautiful smile, my world would have been a lot grayer and duller than it is...

  I could go on and on in better detail over what happened, but that would take to much time. Also, a certain someone, as usual, puts a downer to the most infinite moments in my life. But you know what, today, I don't really care. Valentines is no time for bad vibes. It was my special day. And I wasn't going to let anyone rain on my parade....

   To end this fairly lengthy blog post, I wish you a very happy Valentines Day! I hope you had an amazing day, whether you be single or not. Just know that somewhere out there, someone is waiting to be your Valentine someday! :)

  Take care, friend.

Love Always,
Yasmeen

No comments:

Post a Comment