Dear Friend,
As I'm currently listening to nostalgic songs from my childhood and finishing up the last one hundred pages of John Green's Paper Towns. I can't help but take a moment of silence and think those ever-so-deep thoughts about life. About everything. About us and how we live our lives. (If you know me well enough, you'd know that this always happens when I read John Green books).
Pretty cool summary/ description thingy right? Like the back of a book kind of stuff. That's the most I could say since I hate being a 'spoiler' (I usually am though). But, to be really honest, I didn't really read this book 'til last night.I got this one along with the rest of other four JG novels in a box set. And although I read Looking For Alaska in less than 24 hrs; like The Fault In Our Stars, I only read a couple of pages then sit it out and barely touched the book until I was terribly bored. But, last night, (yes, I was bored) something in me made me want to read it. Now, I'm glad I did. The story just kept on getting better and better as I flipped through the pages. And, like every other J. Green book I've read, I'm left questioning life itself all over again...
I guess foremost, I'd like to say that I am completely in love with the many euphemisms in this book: paper relating to being fake, or unreal (I'm assuming, at least). the grass as... well, everything: from life, to death, to equality. Even the detective's comparison of balloon to people. I was all so vibrantly fascinating. I'm somewhat happy that I got to pick up on those (I'm pretty slow-minded sometimes) and to this that one things could mean so many other things is just an awesome thought.
Second, I love Radar's (aka Q's best friend's) point when Q was mad at Ben. He said something like, "You know what your problem is? You keep expecting people not to be themselves". This hit me just as hard a lightning bolt would. Sometimes I too act like Q, getting pissed when people don't think the same as me. But ultimately, we just have to accept that that's how it goes in life. We're all blades of grass in a field. We cannot hate people for being themselves. I mean, I could hate this friend for being obsessed with how she looks around guy, for being kind of a (excuse the language) whore, or this other friend for being a control-freak or the other for never asking me to hangout. BUT I WONT. 'Cause in the end, they're my friends. I like them because they're funny, supportive, and they're pretty darn cool. We just have to accept. That's the best thing to do.
Sigh. Because, in reality, sometimes I don't know who I really am anymore. I play different parts everyday, never firmly grasping to accept me for what I am. I'm really confused right now, because even I don't know if I'm a paper girl in a town full of paper people. I bet I am.
To end this very long, more-than-a-minute refection, I'll say this: "What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person."- John Green, Paper Towns. We are nothing more than people. Our lives aren't as magnificent as we always make them out to be. I'd like to compare is to quote/fact about mirrors: "We are ten times prettier as we look back in a mirror than we are in real life". We. are. not. spectacular. But we've all got something unique in our lives. Maybe it's because we're all special that, for the same reason, we aren't special at all.
I better read the rest of the book.
Love Always,
Yasmeen
No comments:
Post a Comment