Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Excerpts From The Best Summer Of My Life

#NowPlaying: Lights Out, Words Gone by Bombay Bicycle Club// You Could Be Happy by Cameron Mitchell (Snow Patrol Cover)

Dear Friend,

  Now that it is officially the last day of April, I'd like to share with you all the wonderful and unexpected things that had happened this past month. I guess I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Though, I'm sort of bitter about something and therefore  I type with the velocity of a speeding truck. Note: That said 'something' is very shallow and it too shall pass. Let's begin.
  
  When I started this summer, I was looking forward to meeting new people. New people, new friends, new me. That was the mantra. Within three days, that completely backfired and I constantly came to class inwardly frustrated. Aside from having to learn during summer, I didn't even know these people. We were all strangers minding our own business. It was aggravating to sit inside a classroom with awkward silences and the treacherous feeling of being judged. And trust me, crushing on one of your classmates does not help. I was starting to think that maybe I'd end the summer making no progress whatsoever. I'd constantly come home tired and with nothing to do and feeling like and idiot, asking myself "Why did I even sign up for this?".

  Three weeks, dear friend. Three weeks of getting up in the morning and seeing people I probably wont see in six months time. So I got to thinking, "Why should I care?". The most I could do was endure the last week of torture and insecurity. It'll be over soon.

  But you know, I say this now: Looking back, there were so many great things that had happened this summer and let alone, this month. I guess it's true what they say-- "You never know what you have until it's gone". Okay, maybe it's too shallow to use such an deep analogy, but really. I guess, I was just to busy thinking about myself and restricting myself from the world to see that I could've done so much better.

  So, I could say, I've made the very best of this week. I can actually smile and think about myself when I go off to college. It's sad that I had to wait the last week, but hey, that's what I'm usually good at. Waiting for the end to catch the train. So here's the short summary of the bestest of summer memories I've had this year:

  I was able to befriend some people from my class: a girl from the school right across ours, and a girl who apparently lives in my village as well. It's funny and quite ironic because, well, they were polar opposites of each other and yet, I managed to hang out with them. I am an introvert. But to see myself get to talk and mingle with such people, it was a refreshing feeling. Expect the unexpected, as they say. I really do hope we keep in touch because I'm really happy I met them. I'm really happy that I got to (quote-unquote) meet the four boys too. They pretty much brought the humor to our class and I know it wouldn't be the same without them. For everyone else, they're awesome. No exception. And I'll miss them all.

  The class party was definitely friggin awesome. I mean, for once, the awkward silence helped us to loosen up a bit. We were stuck in that room for an hour, so we eventually got to talk each other, crack some jokes and just finally be ourselves. Drawing on whiteboards, making fun of each other. It was all so fun. We even had free pizza. Getting to fool around and get to know each other was so unexpected. Yet, it was what I've been waiting for this whole time.Though, I have to admit I was being bombarded with butterflies in my stomach and the case of the 'shy giggles', I made it through. My fingers are crossed, I hope he didn't notice. And if he did, then sayonara. Because that would be super awkward.

  At the end of the party, we all ended up inviting each other for a group lunch. It was cool because, we we're actually taking the initiative to hang out with each other. We ended up in this milkshake place and I opted to treat everyone. Albeit, I partly regret losing all my money to by those milkshakes I don't regret that opportunity of trying to make friends. Politeness is often misunderstood, as I said. And though I did buy everyone milkshakes just as an excuse to buy a certain someone a milkshake, it was all fucking awesome. We all got to talk and to hang out, take a group picture, exchange Twitters and Instagrams and cellphone numbers. By the end of the day, we all formed a bond filled with laughs and somehow, it felt as if we've been friends for quite some time. I was happy.

  Note: I'm also bitter. But I blame a certain sunglassed jerk. Kidding. Not really. Whatever.

  Above is a picture of my review-mates and I at the milkshake place.

  I apologize for the rather abundant dichotomies in this letter. Summer was a whirlwind adventure.

  I can't wait for another.


Love Always,
Yasmeen

No comments:

Post a Comment